"Friendly Fire" - Camp Stove Class
A survey of camping stoves and fire starting techniques:
In true campsite fashion, we will be cooking food for all to share, so come hungry. Also, all participants get a Mighty Hatchet patch and 10% off all stoves.
"Maps and Legends" - Compass and Map Class
An essential survival skill, learning the tradition use of a compass as a navigation tool can someday get you out of a tough situation. Limited to 10 participants, who each get a free compass and a Mighty Hatchet patch.
(11/13/18: Note: we have reached 10 participants for 11/26/18 class...more can sign up but wont get a free compass)
The 10 Essentials
Packing the “Ten Essentials” whenever you step into the backcountry, even on day hikes, is a good habit. On a basic trip you may use only a few of them or none at all. It’s when something goes awry that you’ll truly appreciate the value of carrying these items that could be essential to your survival.
"It's better to be looking at something than looking for something"
"Wilderness First Aid" - $195
Class starts promptly at 9am!
ASHI’s Wilderness First Aid program is designed to
meet or exceed the Boy Scouts of America Wilderness First
Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines, 2017 Edition. The
program includes a robust PowerPoint presentation and a
greater focus on hands-on skills and scenario practices.
Individuals who are not healthcare providers or professional rescuers but desire or are required to be certified in wilderness first aid knowledge and skills.
• Max student to instructor ratio: 10 to 1
• Recommended student to equipment ratio: 3 to 1
ASHI-approved training materials
• Wilderness First Aid Instructor Guide (one per instructor;
print or digital)
• Skills Demonstration DVD (Please note this component
is currently being finalized. It will be shipped at a later
date to Training Centers that purchase the Program
• Student Book (one per participant; print or digital)
• Online access to support materials including program
• Streaming video player
• Track past, present and future classes through TC portal
Recognized certification period
Up to 2 years
Successful completion (certification)
• Written evaluation: When not required by a regulatory
agency, it is optional.
• Performance evaluation: All students must perform
required skills competently without assistance.
• Wilderness First Aid
• Protecting Yourself
• Legal Considerations
• Moving and Lifting
• Scene Assessment
• Initial Assessment
• Focused Assessment
• Control of Bleeding
• Major Wounds
• Facial Injuries
• Minor Wounds
• Cleaning, Closing, and Dressing Wounds
• Head, Neck, or Back Injuries
• Musculoskeletal Injuries
• Extended Injury Management
• Altered Mental Status
• Breathing Difficulty, Shortness of Breath
• Abdominal Problems
• Pain, Severe Pressure, or Discomfort in Chest
• Heat Emergencies
• Cold Emergencies
• Bites and Stings
• Submersion (Drowning)
• Lightning Strikes
• Altitude Illnesses
• Emotional Considerations
• First Aid Kits
• Protection from the Elements
• Water and Food
Register for Mighty Hatchet Classes and Other Events
Select Category (blue text) first. Green calendar dates will show availability. Please note you may need to scroll calendar ahead to find available date (in green).
Select date on calendar, then select available class